Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration heard and felt underfoot while driving

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration heard and felt underfoot while driving

I have 86k miles on my 04, and have recently started to hear a slight buzzing sound, kinda a whirring that fades in and out, and I can feel the vibrations associated with the buzzing on my feet. It only happens when drive is engaged- if I put it in neutral the problem disappears.

Is it my front driveshaft U-joint failing? I never replaced it with a serviceable one.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would be the first thing you should check, because even if it is not the culprit, it could snap and spear a hole in your transmission that could take several thousand dollars to resolve. Of course you will also want to check fluid levels in the diffs, transfer case, and transmission while under the truck.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Even if it is not your drive shaft, get it rebuilt or replaced before it does take out your tranny. When was the last time you greased your f/r drive shafts?
As already mentioned, check/change all your fluids and if need be, remove the front shaft, engage your H Lock and drive on the rear shaft to see if the noise goes away.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Mudding

took it into my local LR dealer recently as they offered a free total inspection. Dealer came up with a bad rear coupler ($468) and they attributed the vibration to that. However I suspect they rushed through the inspection and may have just said that (it was a guess anyways the service adviser said.)

Could the rear coupler be the cause of the vibration?

I also have a bad front pinion seal ($513), lightly leaking T-Case (common said they and only $775 to fix) and- big surprise- slightly leaking head gasket (only $3600).

I just had all the fluids replaced, including the T-case, so should I just monitor the fluid level in it or should I solve the leak problem- or maybe I can just tighten some screws and bolts to fix the problem, or maybe add a little stop leak fluid?

Should I get on the bad rear coupler right away?

Last, I didn't grease the front drive shaft yet- will bearing grease spread around the movable parts be enough?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at Great basin Rovers in salt lake city, Utah. They rebuild the driveshafts, and from what I have read do a great job. I got mine there. Plus their customer service is great.

I would also find an independent mechanic that you trust to work on your D2.

scott

Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the advice. What does Great Basins charge? Unfortunately I live in Los Angeles.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the standard driveshaft is $375 or so. The super heavy duty is $425... but if you are mostly daily driving and little off road, the standard is probably fine. They ship it to you with 8 locking nuts, and you unbolt the old one and bolt the new one on. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth, otherwise you may have a vibration after install.

They warrantee their driveshafts and will send you a new one on the small chance the first one wasn't properly balanced.

also, send your existing driveshaft to them to receive the $50 core charge credit, as they will rebuild it.