LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking sound when accelerating/braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound when accelerating/braking

Hello -
In addition to annoying suspension faults, I'm having a new problem. I have a 2005 LR3 with 65k miles. Whenever I come to a stop, or accelerate from a stop, I hear a CLUNK sound. This sound seems to be coming from the front of the car. What it sounds like is something shifting forward and back with my braking/accelerating. Has anyone heard of this, or have any suggestions as to what it might be? I am hoping something simple has come loose, and I can take care of it myself versus a pricey trip to Land Rover...

Also, whenever I am turning at slow speeds, perhaps into a parking spot, the car sounds like it's falling apart. It is clunking like crazy. It has become worse slowly, and over the weekend has become so bad that I've decided to park the LR3 until I can figure this out. I do not feel safe driving it. Hoping to avoid Land Rover visit if I can.

Thanks for any help!
M

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

we can't diagnose your noises. Only someone who is listening and examining the vehicle can. it could be a number of things. Have it diagnosed at a dealer before attempting to throw parts at it yourself.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
we can't diagnose your noises. Only someone who is listening and examining the vehicle can. it could be a number of things. Have it diagnosed at a dealer before attempting to throw parts at it yourself.
Thanks for the response - but I wasn't asking for a diagnosis of the noises. I am inquiring as to whether anyone has heard of this problem, or had any ideas as to what it may be.

My plan is to have it looked at by Land Rover, but I am hoping to go in with an understanding of what the issue might be. I would appreciate responses that help me gather that understanding.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The most likely culprit is the lower suspension bushings, which is quite a common problem. You can crawl under it, and use a bar to look for play on the bushings. That will either confirm or eliminate that item from the list.

Other likely culprits might be; bud wheel bearing (hub assembly), or CV joint possible.

If you need help figuring out how to check it just ask.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to: MMWnLMD

Have you figured out the issue? I get the same gear like clunk when breaking or accel. I know it is not suspension or transmission on mine. Not sure if it is transfer case related. Please let me know if you had yours diagnosed.
Thanks

Last edited by vetalbig; 10-02-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Mudding

Loose or broken U-joints?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Mudding

IMO, clunking noises of almost any type are things that most competent repair shops can handle. You don't need a dealer to diagnose steering gear, bushings, etc. but rather a shop that sees these kinds of things all week long.

Any shop that does alignments would be a good place to start diagnostics.