LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension Fault

2006 LR3 HSE, 78K..

My vehicle is throwing out random suspension faults, and an occasional "Normal Access Height only. Max Speed of 30 MPH". (Paraphrasing)

I had SIMILAR issues about 18 months ago (maybe 20K miles), and it was a compressor and some sort of relay. Dealership repaired for a second mortgage. I made them give me the relay and the old compressor because, well, I'm not sure I believed them. In this particular instance, no matter what I did, (disconnect battery, turn vehicle off and back on), i could not get the vehicle to raise.

In this instance, it does it erratically, and when I turn the vehicle off, and back on, even if just for a second, I can raise the vehicle, drive it for another 30 minutes, or sometimes for 2 days without anything messages or alerts.

So... is my compressor going again? Anything I can do to stem or avoid this? I'm really getting sick of this air suspension. I bought this car used, and although it's been solid, this is it's third compressor - 4th if needs a new one.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Are there any other error messages? Generally there are several faults that might pop up.

It sounds like possible brake light switch or bulbs. I suggest changing them all out regardless, there are known issues with the original switch. It is typical this intermittent error might pop up while in stop and go traffic.

Battery problems also might cause faults, so that sequence of errors might be useful.

You should try and fix the old compressor, depending on the problem. I would like to start a parts collection and start tearing these apart and source rebuild parts at some point.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very possible it can be a compressor leak not really a mechanical failure. if the drier is craked or just a small leak it will throw the fault over time and it shuts compressor function down so it wont over heat trying to keep filling up the reservoir. never seen a relay stick for the compressor on LR3s very common issue to have a leak at the blue and orange fitting on the drier . take the compressor cover off spray a solution of water and soap on those fittings as the car is running and raise the truck the compressor should kick on and you will be able to see if it has a leak if it forms bubbles. also there is a kit to convert over to springs but that lowers value of truck.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

could be the sensors but you need to look at codes first.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Without fault codes we could suggest every air suspension component your vehicle has..
Your LR3 should have the navigation package. Go into the Nav Home Menu and select 4x4 info
The screen will display all the wheel heights.
While you are driving you can monitor the wheel height sensors and see if any of them go out of range.
You'll know this when the red line either goes full high or low, and/or drifts high and low.
You can diagnose a height sensor and/or an electrical problem at the height sensor connector at any of the 4 wheels using this procedure.

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 04-11-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Mudding
Default Height sensor

Well, I pulled up the the 4 x 4 info and sure enough.. Rear right wheel is all over the place. How hard are these sensors to replace? They seem like they're inexpensive but can't tell if they're plug and play. Anyone know? Thanks!!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You can change it yourself, you would want to disconnect the battery to ensure the vehicle does not lower while you are working under it. You can order the part, the following are the part numbers.

LR020157 Front suspension, Ride control, Front sensor, lr3, right - w/air suspension - W/AIR SUSPENSION 1 $44.22 *
LR020155 Front suspension, Ride control, Front sensor, lr3, left - w/air suspension - W/AIR SUSPENSION 1 $44.22 *
LR020161 Rear suspension, Ride control, Rear sensor, lr3, right - w/air suspension - W/AIR SUSPENSION 1 $44.22 *
LR020159 Rear suspension, Ride control, Rear sensor, lr3, left - w/air suspension - W/AIR SUSPENSION 1 $44.22 *

I prefer Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Mudding

I looked at the 4X4 screen as i was driving, as suggested, and sure enough the right rear tire is all over the place. I ordered a sensor that should be here in a few days. Anyone familiar with a thread on how to install??

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same "suspension fault" issue, no NAV system ?

I have an '06 LR3 with the same persistent "suspension fault" - I have taken to ignoring it because it doesn't seem to be anything more serious than a broken idiot light. As I approach home I just put the LR3 in neutral, turn off the ignition and turn it right back on and select "Access Height" so my short wife can easily jump out and open the gate. Not an admittedly adult approach, but it is always way more expensive than I appreciate to get anything fixed that really seems to require fixing.

I don't have the NAV system; is there another way to isolate the defective sensor(s)? I would like to see the reply about installation thread!

When I work on my Polaris Ranger there are several helpful forums complete with videos - would be nice to find some cheaper way for DIY than the Land Rover $ub$cription site.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sensor replacement is somewhat simple and only requires a couple of tools.
One of the most difficult tasks is releasing the connector from the sensor, where sometimes the latching tabs break.
In the back yard the easiest approach would be to remove the wheel from the corner of the vehicle you
will be replacing the sensor on for access to the sensor.
The screws are torx either T25 or T20 iirc or both.
The new sesnsor has a different size torx screw. The new sensor may also
have a bracket to install with it, and it comes with a little instruction sheet.
The key to a sucessful installation is to make sure the sensor mounts in the same way you took it out.
If it doesn't look right, It's not.
While you have the sensor off make sure the connector does not have any corrosion in it.
If it is corroded or you break the latch tabs, replace it, Land Rover offers a connector kit for this.
Eas calibration is suposed to be done when new sensors are installed.
But in a pinch.. If it sits level when you're done it should be ok.
As far as diagnosis of sensors goes the guys with nav. have the edge. This is an accurate way to single out a sensor. All other fault diagnosis will require a scan tool that can read and clear faults and/or log multiple height sensors signals while driving.
You can try to make you own test plan using the ETM and tap into the respective pins at the ecu and monitor sensors with A DVOM or a multi 4 trace scope.
One other suggestion would be to visit this website and inquire if he is planning on developing any hardware and software for LR3 and Sport model EAS diagnosis. He has developed some really nice products and continues to do so.

www.rswsolutions.com

Quick Reply: Suspension Fault