Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Noticed a slight squeal or noise even with new belt.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticed a slight squeal or noise even with new belt.

I replaced the serpentine belt on my Disco SE-7 and even before I replaced (old belt) when the vehicle warms up it makes a slight squealing noise when idling, but if you barely rev the gas the noise goes away. When the vehicle is cold it idles perfectly. Any suggestions if this some pulley going bad? The vehicle runs fine you just notice it after the engine is warmed up and like I said a slight mash of the throttle the noise goes away. Thanks for your help, slowly I am getting this Disco rolling better.;-)

Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A good way to isolate where it is coming from is to remove the belt. Spin each pulley by hand (power steering, AC, alternator). The bad one will squeal when you spin it by hand usually.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-13-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine did the exact same thing, it was the fan clutch being locked up all the time and was putting to much strain on the water pump.
Remove your engine fan, start the engine and see if the noise is still there, I bet it is gone.
In which case go to the tech section and read up on the fan clutch replacement.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And if you want to listen for the noise, a stick held between your ear and the pump, or alternator, or AC compressor, etc. will let you hear the noise more clearly and zero in on what is making it. Don't throw parts at it. Be sure before picking up wrench and check book.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a tool that looks like a stethoscope with a long metal pointed probe for doing that.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, but you can beat the un-ruly Rover with the stick.... a note of caution, if planning to hi-jack broom handle get permission from SWMBO, else you may hear the rustling of the wings of the flying monkeys released upon you.

Many parts stores sell the mechanic stethoscopes. A handy gadget.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Mine did the exact same thing, it was the fan clutch being locked up all the time and was putting to much strain on the water pump.
Remove your engine fan, start the engine and see if the noise is still there, I bet it is gone.
In which case go to the tech section and read up on the fan clutch replacement.
Thanks Spike555 the odd thing at idle when I first crank it its fine, but when I take to for a spin, like it warms up the noise starts. If I turn it off and re-crank it, it goes away, but always comes back. The Gauges are fine it never runs hot, is it dangerous to drive like that? Thanks for your help and I will do that when I get a chance its not that loud of noise just annoying to hear..LOL If you press the gas the noise goes away as well..

Primey

Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

If fan clutch is locked up constantly fuel economy suffers. Cheap to check, $50 part if need to replace. The clutch "enages" when warmed up to a certain point. But check yor coolant level, want to be sure you are not running too warm (making fan engage - normally it is about 20% power, when hot, 60-70% power), mud clogged radiator fins, trash in between rad and condesner, etc. But fan clutch when stone cold in morning should make a "roar" from being on max as well. So if no fan noise when cold start, might be fan clutch as well.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-14-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If fan clutch is locked up constantly fuel economy suffers. Cheap to check, $50 part if need to replace. The clutch "enages" when warmed up to a certain point. But check yor coolant level, want to be sure you are not running too warm (making fan engage - normally it is about 20% power, when hot, 60-70% power), mud clogged radiator fins, trash in between rad and condesner, etc. But fan clutch when stone cold in morning should make a "roar" from being on max as well. So if no fan noise when cold start, might be fan clutch as well.
Thanks Savannah will check it I have learned a ton from you guys I am slowly getting there. The Rover is driving fine, just drive it 2 days a week, but its been running great.;-)

Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by primey
Thanks Spike555 the odd thing at idle when I first crank it its fine, but when I take to for a spin, like it warms up the noise starts. If I turn it off and re-crank it, it goes away, but always comes back. The Gauges are fine it never runs hot, is it dangerous to drive like that? Thanks for your help and I will do that when I get a chance its not that loud of noise just annoying to hear..LOL If you press the gas the noise goes away as well..

Primey
Mine was the same way, start it in the morning, no noise, drive to work, noise after warmed up.
Drive home no noise, noise once warmed up.
Shut it off to get gas, noise gone after start up.
But noise back after the mile drive home.
Bought new water pump, never installed it because I found out it was a locked up fan clutch.
Removed fan, drove for a day, no noise.
Replaced fan clutch, no noise.
That was 4 years ago that the noise happened, I still have that brand new water pump in the garage, still no noise.
If you continue to drive it like that the water pump will come apart eventually and the fan will eat your radiator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noticed a slight squeal or noise even with new belt.