Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPG/CNG Conversion Kits

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LPG/CNG Conversion Kits

Does anyone know of an American company making or selling LPG conversion kits for Disco IIs?

I've done some searching on the web and can find a number of kits but can't find one for the 4.0 V8 MPFI. There are a number UK companies but even those seem to be geared more toward the Range Rover.

Has anyone done this conversion and are you happy with it?

I'm thinking of doing the dual fuel system. With direct injection on the LP and found kits for MPFI V8s but not specifically for the Disco. With these trucks being so picky about part conversions I was hoping to find someone making a kit for the Disco.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LRDII2000
Does anyone know of an American company making or selling LPG conversion kits for Disco IIs?

I've done some searching on the web and can find a number of kits but can't find one for the 4.0 V8 MPFI. There are a number UK companies but even those seem to be geared more toward the Range Rover.

Has anyone done this conversion and are you happy with it?

I'm thinking of doing the dual fuel system. With direct injection on the LP and found kits for MPFI V8s but not specifically for the Disco. With these trucks being so picky about part conversions I was hoping to find someone making a kit for the Disco.
It's quite a typical conversion in the UK. Try landyzone.co.uk for people who have a lot of experience with it.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LRDII2000
I'm thinking of doing the dual fuel system.
My understanding is that the dual fuel is about a must. You will need periodically run gasoline to keep the seals from drying out. (So I have read).

Are looking a getting a station for home that compresses natural gas? Or do you have ready access to an LP filling station?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Winching

The cost of the conversion is not cheap so you would need to plan on keeping the truck for a while for it to pay off. It is popular in the UK because their gas prices are considerably high than in the US. If you put a lot of miles on the truck it might be worth it. I don't know why but I have read that the engine and emissions system has to be in tip top shape for the conversion to be done.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Basically all you will be doing is adding a LPG carb, a fuel pressure regulator and a LP tank.
It runs completely separate from the petrol system, you can run completely out of petrol and run on LPG or vise versa.
You will need to add a fuel pump shut off switch for your petrol fuel pump so that when you run on LPG you shut off the petrol pump and turn on the LPG.
Keep in mind that you will loose a good 10% or more in MPG and horse power while running on LPG and you might throw a check engine light for a O2 code.
Also think about where you are going to get your tank filled.

While in high school a friend and I ran out of gas while 2 tracking in his '76 LaBaron with the slant 6.
We took a propane torch that was in his truck, turned the gas on and stuck it in the carb, we drove another mile or so on that and then "borrowed" gas from a farmer.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Re:LPG/CNG Conversion Kits

I have installed a CNG conversion kit in my van and quite happy with the performance. It has also helped in saving some extra buck as well in going green. I can share the details of the shop where i have done the CNG conversion.

---------------------
cng conversion

Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you do realize the post your answering is over a year old? right.