Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How To Change the Fuel Tank Breather/Vent Hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a recall on this? Interesting.... Having a pro mechanic do the work for me for free seems a lot more attractive I must admit...

I looked up some recall on the '96, but all I can find is some stuff about air bags.

Used 1996 Land Rover Discovery Recalls - 1996 Land Rover Discovery Recall Reports - Motor Trend Magazine

Anyway, it is worth a phone call. And also reminds me that I have a toyota that needs to go in for all that recall hoopla that happened a year ago.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
8th Gear

I'm getting ready to do the same procedure on my '96 D1 and thanks for the documentation. In step 9, I have a small diameter hose strapped to the main filler hose (see pic) Name:  b6ce4779.jpg
Views: 5221
Size:  133.1 KBthat looks like it was cut and is simply unattached. My 3/4" vent hose is also cracked so I get spillage on every fill up. This cut hose looks like maybe a vent hose also but not sure what it's called or where I get a replacement. Any suggestions from the board are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a drain for the sunroof I think

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Whatever it is mine was clogged with mud.

I was able to shorten then re-route the leaking vent hose enough to get rid of the split. It's a short-term fix. This appears to be the 'right' way to do it.

There are other posts about people trying to get the recall work done only to find out that any other parts required will be at their expense. So all the broken bolts and other 'bad' parts found while in there will be added to your bill.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Just finished this repair. It was a bit of a bear but well worth the effort. My vent hose was cracked at the tank. About six hours of work but just $3.89 for the hose. I saved that much the first time I filled the tank without spilling the precious elixer all over the ground! Highly recommend this fix!!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this same repair in 20 minutes. I removed the access for the fuel pump and measured over enough to be able to loosen the clamp. I then used at hole saw to carefully bore a hole through the floor over the vent nipple on the tank. I then was able to loosen the clamp and use a long screwdriver to remove the hose off the nipple. The new clamp was slipped onto the nipple and the new hose lubed up with some ATF pushed into place. I then clamped it down and reinstalled the access plate. I cut a fairly thin piece of aluminum and siliconed it in place over the hole. Napa was #17.00 for 4' of it, much cheaper than the dealers price. Leak free for 2 months now.

The following users liked this post:
Hagendaz28 (03-20-2021)
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
8th Gear
Default cracked vent hose

Originally Posted by hh65flyer
Just finished this repair. It was a bit of a bear but well worth the effort. My vent hose was cracked at the tank. About six hours of work but just $3.89 for the hose. I saved that much the first time I filled the tank without spilling the precious elixer all over the ground! Highly recommend this fix!!

Exactly where mine was cracked. Next time, NAPA instead if the $50 for the oem hose from AB

Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Rock Crawling

My $3.89 hose isn't 'fuel-rated' nor made in UK... ;-)

Old 08-01-2012, 11:52 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for this write up. Very cool. Did it this morning before it got too hot. Took a little over an hour to do. Sucky job, but no more Check Engine Light for me. :-)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the idea of the hole saw thru the floor pan. That is how the access panel for the fuel pump came to be. RR Classic owners were doing that to get to theirs and dealerships provided feedback so LR made that change when the Discovery was designed.

I also cut one in the passengers side of the tranny tunnel to get to the CDL Switch.
As have a few others since then.

Quick Reply: How To Change the Fuel Tank Breather/Vent Hose