Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Any MODS to create an air bag on/off switch?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any MODS to create an air bag on/off switch?

Would like to be able to tempararily turn off my AIR BAG SYSTEM by way of an on/off switch for off road purposes. Had a bit of a scare the other day when at around 15MPH a tree jumped out in front of my rover. Luckily the Air Bag system did not deploy. Just had to change out the front bumper and my favorite Air Defense Artillery license plate. Has anyone created this MOD?

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 04-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Why not just pull the fuse?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Winching

I have read other forums, folks say that when the fuse is removed and an impact occurs the possibility of the air bag deploying when you re-install the fuse is high. The Airbag crash sensors may still be in the crash detect zone. I know that newer vehicles allow the passenger air bags to be disabled. Maybe they are using an on/off switch connected to the crash sensor.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You know if you do disable the system and for whatever reason, you are in an accident and someone gets hurt, your insurance company has/ and usually will, not honor any medical claims.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Winching

Right; That is why I asked for an on/off switch to use between on/off road. It is nothing more than what already exists with cutting off the passenger air bags.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending upon what kind of sensors are in your year of vehicle, you might be able to install a disconnect. Passenger-side AB disconnects are simply that, they disconnect the harness from the module. Keep in mind that the integrity of the circuit is critical in SRS and any increased resistance might create a code in the SRS or even prevent it from working when you need it.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Winching

The crash sensor is in the drivers bag on this model. I have heard of people doing this through the connector. Sure wish Land Rover had installed a simple cuttoff device for off roaders. What a stupid mistake. And an expensive one, if the air bag system deployed out on the trail.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd prefer to remove the whole SRS system if I could without leaving nasty holes...

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, what happens when wheeling hard off road and you do hit something, who pays for you injuries.
Really, this is one of the dumbest threads posted recently.
So what if the bags go off when you hit something off road, that is what insurance is for.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to think in terms of worst-case-scenario, vehicle is involved in an accident on the road when the SRS is active but it does not deploy correctly/at all. If a passenger is seriously injured/killed you have to live with that, let alone the legal problems associated with it. Not worth it to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any MODS to create an air bag on/off switch?