Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
wa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Noise

I have an 03 Disco II with 60k miles on it that has been well maintained recent oil change and 60k maintenace. I drive it maybe less than 300 miles a month. So yesterday I started driving and as I gradually accelerated its starts making a rattling noise by the front passenger side. As I am driving it goes away until I give it some gas to accelerate. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before or may know of what may be the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Will

Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb has your front drive shaft been re-built with greaseable parts?

Originally Posted by wa
I have an 03 Disco II with 60k miles on it that has been well maintained recent oil change and 60k maintenace. I drive it maybe less than 300 miles a month. So yesterday I started driving and as I gradually accelerated its starts making a rattling noise by the front passenger side. As I am driving it goes away until I give it some gas to accelerate. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before or may know of what may be the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Will
drive line slack...or has your front drive shaft been re-built with greaseable parts? If not, STOP driving immediately and read the ""Write ups" and "How To" sticky section above:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...rebuild-29302/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-done-30781/

Old 03-20-2011, 02:33 PM
wa
6th Gear

mwindth,

I'm not sure, I'm not a mechanic. I know someone who is an ex landrover mechanic who now works at Toyota. I left him a voicemail so I can meet up next week. I drive about 20 miles a day so will this be ok to drive?

Will

Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wa
mwindth,

I'm not sure, I'm not a mechanic. I know someone who is an ex landrover mechanic who now works at Toyota. I left him a voicemail so I can meet up next week. I drive about 20 miles a day so will this be ok to drive?

Will
Well, if it what mwindth thinks it is, then NO, it is not OK to drive at all. On the front driveshaft there are 3 u-joints (universal joints). Each one of them should have a zerk (grease fitting). It is a little nipple that will either stick out from the end of one of the 4 sides of the u-joint, or it will be in-between 2 of them. Just get under the front of the truck and you can check very easily.

The problem with our front drive shafts is that they came from the factory with "sealed" u-joints (ungreasable). With the u-joints being so close to the catalytic converter, they heat up A LOT and eventually fail. When they do fail, more often than not it is at high speed and the loose driveshaft will punch a hole in the side of the transmission. This happens more than you would think. So if you HAVE to drive it, I would make it a short trip to the mechanic or a driveline shop to have the u-joints replaced if they are original. What will be a few hundred dollars will turn into thousands of dollars if it fails.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humroot
Well, if it what mwindth thinks it is, then NO, it is not OK to drive at all. On the front driveshaft there are 3 u-joints (universal joints). Each one of them should have a zerk (grease fitting). It is a little nipple that will either stick out from the end of one of the 4 sides of the u-joint, or it will be in-between 2 of them. Just get under the front of the truck and you can check very easily.

The problem with our front drive shafts is that they came from the factory with "sealed" u-joints (ungreasable). With the u-joints being so close to the catalytic converter, they heat up A LOT and eventually fail. When they do fail, more often than not it is at high speed and the loose driveshaft will punch a hole in the side of the transmission. This happens more than you would think. So if you HAVE to drive it, I would make it a short trip to the mechanic or a driveline shop to have the u-joints replaced if they are original. What will be a few hundred dollars will turn into thousands of dollars if it fails.
exactly...X2

Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
wa
6th Gear

All,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and providing the information. I won't drive it since I have another car until I can take it to be repaired.

Will

Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
drive line slack...or has your front drive shaft been re-built with greaseable parts? If not, STOP driving immediately and read the ""Write ups" and "How To" sticky section above:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...rebuild-29302/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-done-30781/
I have a question in addition to the OP's post. When the drive shaft starts going bad, and a noise or rattling starts to occur, should there be any visible signs that the u-joints are going bad? Would there be a way to tell from looking at the outside of the shaft?

I ask because I just removed my front drive shaft and I'm about to replace the u-joints and center bearing kit. But something I noticed is that the drive shaft looks new, like it's been replaced before.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be visible signs, some people have posted photos where the u joint cups have started to disintegrate.
If ALL your u joints on the front drive shaft have grease nipples then it has been rebuild, otherwise not.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah mine only has 1 greasable u-joint from the factory. I just think it might be possible that the dealer replaced the shaft entirely at some point. I'm not the original owner. What about the 1 u-joint with a grease nipple? Is that still good and can it be reused? Or should I replace that as well for good measure. I bought 3 Neacpo U-joints with zerk fittings at the end caps.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pump the existing one full of grease, see if fresh grease comes out at all 4 cups. If not then think about replacing it. I would just replace it since you have a new one, and it only takes a couple of minutes once you get the hang of it.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Noise