Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Light HDC failure Light and TC light have come on, WHY???

Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light HDC failure Light and TC light have come on, WHY???

I have a 2000 Discovery II with only 57,650 miles well maintained always. Today my
TC (traction control) light came on as well as my ABS light and my HDC failure light (Hill Decent Control)
Can someone please help me with this?????? Why has it come on???

Old 07-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: ABS Light HDC failure Light and TC light have come on, WHY???

This is the most common fault that our Rovers likes to do to us.
Are you brakes ready for replacement, are they aftermarket, do they squeak aot and are the wheels covered with brake dust?
Before you take it in to get it checked, make sure you answer these questions and I will walk you thru getting it fixed.
Mike

Old 07-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Mike,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes to all your questions. What do you think is
wrong??

Old 07-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Many of the after market pads are very dusty and dust cause the squeak that the ABS sensor picks up as a problem annd on goe your light. That being said, there are other things that could cause this but I think it is safe to say you ahve the answer.
How old or warn are the brake? The only way to get rid of this problem will be to replace with good pads, maybe rotors, making sure to use lots of sound deadening material on the pads.
If you want we can talk wwhen you want to correct this. In the mean time, don't waist any time turning off the warning lights, it won't stay off till a change is made.
Mike

Old 07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Discomike,

I just came back from the dealer, I did not want to pay them to turn the lights off. I had my oil changed and they told me that I have more than 20% left on my pads...Could it be something else that's causing this? I do have aftermarket pads on my rover. Is the dealer the only one that can turn the lights off?

Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: marlymarl

Discomike,

I just came back from the dealer, I did not want to pay them to turn the lights off. I had my oil changed and they told me that I have more than 20% left on my pads...Could it be something else that's causing this? I do have aftermarket pads on my rover. Is the dealer the only one that can turn the lights off?
It takes a Rover test book or the equivilant to turn off the lights.
At your mileage, it is safe to say that you will need to replace the pads and rotors when you do your brakes, it is an easy job and I would suggest you order on line all the parts and I can walk you thru what to do. Should only take 2 hours in your driveway, plus 1/2 hour for a good brake flush.
When you get ready for parts, shout and I'll help you get lined up with some good parts at the right price.
Mike

Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 PM
7th Gear

So, where do we get this test book, or any schematics for the Disco ?

Old 11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scanner Disco Mike refers to is normally found at dealers or the better equipped independent shops. There are a few manufacturers. Autologic is one, and Rovacomm another. The Autologic is a $15K tool, so your best bet is to call a few shops around your area to see who has the right tool. The OBDII scanner found at many auto parts stores can only read engine management related codes--and clear them. They cannot help you on other systems like A/C or body/suspension electrical functions.

Regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

marlymarl,

By the way, I have a complete Disco II brake kit (front and back) for $285.50 at http://www.eurotekapg.com/catalog/it...71/3084264.htm

Shipping is additional.

Regards,

Geoman
eurotek apg

Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 PM
7th Gear

Here is the diagnosis for wheel speed sensors....this may or may not be the problem. My lights come on every once in a while, and there are other bulletins explaining symptoms.

Nick

ABS/TCS - Warning Lamps ON/HDC Lamp ON/DTC's Set
No: 70/03/05/NAS
FGN 206-09
Ref: 70/01/05/NAS
Issue: 1
Date: 07 July 2005

Wheel Speed Sensor Related
ABS/TC/HDC Warning Lamp
Illumination Troubleshooting

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Discovery Series II (LT)
All

SITUATION:

ILLUMINATED ABS/TC/HDC WARNING LAMPS

A customer may complain that the anti-lock braking system (ABS), traction control (TC) and hill descent control (HDC) warning lamps are illuminated. There are a variety of potential causes of a wheel speed sensor fault. When T4 diagnostics indicates that the fault (logged codes 4.4, 4.5, 4.6,
4.7, 6.4, 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6 and 8.7) is the wheel speed sensor, the information in this bulletin should be used to diagnose the problem.

RESOLUTION:

DIAGNOSE WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATION CAUSES

Should a customer express concern regarding the warning lamp illumination, the diagnostic procedure in the "Repair Procedure" section of this bulletin should be used to troubleshoot the problem and ensure that a successful corrective action is taken.

PARTS INFORMATION:

TOOLS
T4 "RDS" Disc ........"Archive 23" or later

DDW WARRANTY CLAIMS:

NOTE : Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.

DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

TROUBLESHOOTING ABS WARNING LIGHTS

NOTE : Land Rover approved brake pads/discs are fitted to the vehicle to ensure proper operation of the systems.

NOTE : If during this procedure it is determined that the wheel speed sensor requires renewal, when locating the new sensor head into the hub care must be taken to ensure that the sensor O-ring is correctly located.

1. Connect T4 to the vehicle and load Archive disc 23 (or a later version).

2. Start a new diagnostic session.

3. Using the on-screen display, select:

^ "SLS & ABS"

^ "Vehicle Maintenance"

^ "Read ECU Information"

^ "Internal ECU Data"

4. Record the Internal ECU Data.

5. Return to Vehicle Maintenance screen and select "Fault Code Diagnostics".

6. Record and then clear any logged fault codes.

NOTE : Damage to the wheel speed sensor lead includes cuts/abrasions to the lead insulation, even if these have not caused the sensor register open or short circuit.

7. Check the external condition of the suspect wheel speed sensor and lead for moisture ingress, damage to the insulation and possible exposed wires.

8. If there is no external damage to the wheel speed sensor lead, perform the following:

^ Check the condition of the suspect wheel speed sensor lead for evidence of internal damage or poor connectivity using the following technique:

a) Using T4, select "Real-Time Display" and then select "DC Voltage".

b) With assistance flex the wheel speed sensor lead and tap/flex the wheel speed sensor connector, observing the on-screen display for any changes in the displayed value.

^ If the displayed value changes, refer to TIB 70/01/05/NAS and replace the wheel speed sensor and lead with the sensor and complete overlay harness.

^ Clear any logged fault codes.

^ Disconnect T4 from the vehicle.

^ Road test the vehicle.

^ Connect T4 to the vehicle and ensure there are no new logged fault codes.

9. If moisture is present in the wheel speed sensor lead connector, perform the following:

^ Refer to TIB 70/01/05/NAS and replace the wheel speed sensor and lead with the sensor and complete overlay harness.

^ Road test the vehicle.

10. If the wheel speed sensor or the wheel speed sensor lead is damaged, the wheel speed sensor and lead must be replaced as an assembly.

^ Refer to TIB 70/01/05/NAS and replace the wheel speed sensor and lead with the sensor and complete overlay harness assembly.

^ Road test the vehicle.

NOTE : With ECU SRD500070, during certain circumstances the ABS warning lamp may flash while the vehicle is braking at slow speed. This is normal functionality. The lamp will extinguish after a few seconds and it will not cause a fault code to be stored. If the lamp stays on for the remainder of the ignition on period, then check for stored fault codes. If any stored fault code indicates an erratic wheel speed sensor signal then proceed to step 12.

NOTE : GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LT Discovery Series II/2004 > Workshop Manuals > Discovery Series II Workshop Manual 1999 MY on > Bookmark "70-BRAKES" > Link "70.65.08 ECU - Self leveling and anti locking brakes (SLABS)"

NOTE : ECU SRD500070 is a replacement for both SRD000070 and SRD000150.

11. If fault codes remain stored in the SLABS ECU as identified in this bulletin or no faults were found while carrying out the diagnostic procedure on the wheel speed sensor, refer to GTR section 70.65.08 and replace the installed SLABS ECU with a new SLABS ECU (SRD500070).

^ When all ECU renewal steps are complete, road test the vehicle.

^ Connect T4 to the vehicle and verify that no new logged fault codes returned.

NOTE : GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LT Discovery Series II/2004 > Workshop Manuals >

^ Discovery Series II Workshop Manual 1999 MY on > Bookmark "60 FRONT SUSPENSION" > Link "60.25.01 Wheel Hub"

^ Discovery Series II Workshop Manual 1999 MY on > Bookmark "64 REAR SUSPENSION" > Link "64.15.01 Wheel Hub"

12. If the fault returns, refer to GTR section 60.25.01 or 64.15.01 and replace the wheel hub at the reported fault location.

13. Clear any logged fault codes.

14. Disconnect T4 from the vehicle.

15. Road test the vehicle.

16. Connect T4 to the vehicle and verify that no new logged fault codes have returned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Light HDC failure Light and TC light have come on, WHY???