Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

disco 2 headlamp conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco 2 headlamp conversion

I have a 99 series 2 disco and wanted to upgrade to the 03-04 style headlamps. I was wondering if anyone had any info on doing this?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:07 AM
8th Gear
Default RE: disco 2 headlamp conversion

I am told it is a simple bolt in job, I too want to do the same thing cause they look awesome. I think Series 1 Disco's need some minor modification and they too can be installed. I just have to find somewhere in Australia that doesn't sell them for a fortune!!

Old 07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Might check on the DiscoWeb, should be lots of people who have done it or can give you some help.
Mike

Old 07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i have the write up if you need it. very comprehensive with photos as well.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

I also have a 99disco2 and want to convert to new style headlight assy, if anyone has information please reply.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:55 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone done the HID conversion on the new-style lights? I see DAP has a kit they claim puts things where they should be... I'm curious about the results.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Adam Ronke

I am told it is a simple bolt in job, I too want to do the same thing cause they look awesome. I think Series 1 Disco's need some minor modification and they too can be installed. I just have to find somewhere in Australia that doesn't sell them for a fortune!!
Adam, is it possible to provide more information? Do you know what types of mods are required? Looks pretty similar/simple, but you never know...

ORIGINAL: badfysh
i have the write up if you need it. very comprehensive with photos as well.
bad, I am going to PM you for that. Would you mind posting a link of it here? THanks!!

Old 10-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Rock Crawling

I have a 2000 Discovery II. I just recently did the 03-04 headlight and grill upgrade. I purchace a cd-rom guide off of eBay for around $50.00, the guys email is v70madman@aol.com. I highly recomend buying one of these. It has detailed instuctions, parts list and photos. It is definitly not just a bolt in swap. You will need to cut some sheetmetal behind the headlight with a small hand grinder with a 4" thin cut off wheel. The early wiring does not plug into the new lamps so you will have to cut off the plug and splice in new wire to the lamp. Its not as scary as it sounds. I prepared the wiring in the lamps, bought the touch up spray paint for the new finishers and got all the tools ready. Once you cut the sheetmetal and the wiring there is no going back to the old lamp so you need to have everything ready before you start the swap.
The headlamp level adjust motor is bullt into the 03-04 lamp. There are 2 different versions of the new lamp with or without level motor. My rover did not come withe leveling option so I bought the non leveling lamp. One way to tell which lamp has the motor, the non leveling has 7 pins in the wiring plug and the leveling model has 9. Be careful buying used lamps off eBay, because some people sell waranty return parts. I bought a pair for around $500 and they both leaked. I ended up buying a new set. It was worth doing the swap. I like the look of the new lights and grill much better and it increases the value. Another thing I did was install 03-04 tail lights in the bumper, with the clear and red lense. I used an amber bulb in the clear side for the turn signal.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Willie 00D2
It was worth doing the swap. I like the look of the new lights and grill much better and it increases the value. Another thing I did was install 03-04 tail lights in the bumper, with the clear and red lense. I used an amber bulb in the clear side for the turn signal.
Can you post pics!

Very cool!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Sure Ryan, I'll post some pics this weekend.

Willie

Quick Reply: disco 2 headlamp conversion