General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrically dead rover-need to get into neutral ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:40 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrically dead rover-need to get into neutral ??

electrically dead right now, can't move the transmission into nuetral in order to move, what's the best way to get it into a rolling situation???

Any help would be appreciated????

Thanks,

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://rangerovers.net/rremedies.htm#neutral I believe you can also disconnect the selector from the transmission under the car, and then manually put it in neutral. OR you could just hook it up to some jumper cables and then put it in neutral.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What year are we talking about.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Similar situation

I have a similar situation except I also have a dead battery. I do not want to jump the vehicle because that is what supposedly caused my electrical system to "short out" and now I have to replace my vehicle's computer. I need to get the car towed to be repaired and I need to know if there is a neutral/park switch on the vehicle and, if so, where is it located?

Details:
1999 DII
Replaced battery 1 month ago, but because I forgot to unhook the 6-disk cd changer and take out fuse for clock, the battery has died again
Vehicle's computer is shot - will not start anyways, even if I attempt to use jumper cables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

The cable from the shifter attaches on the driver's side, if I remember correctly. I believe the cable is attached to the selector by a set screw. Remove the cable from the lever, move the lever into neutral, and away you go.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling

How about just hooking it up to a battery charger for an hour and then putting it in neutral.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually on a disco two you can pull up the shifter bezel a bit and push in the interlock switch. its a large cylinder and on the driverside is the little cylinder. push it in and you are fine.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
How about just hooking it up to a battery charger for an hour and then putting it in neutral.
Mine is the same... tried to jump the battery (which is 1 year old) and nothing... Stuck in the garage in Pawleys Island... see you are in MB... any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I travel to Pawleys all the time for work and my shop is on Holmestown Road. I would be happy to take a look at it for you. If you're hooking up a battery charger and getting nothing, you probably have a bad connection at the battery terminals or a dead short in the battery.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM

That would be awesome! Unfortunately the car is pulled (forward) into the garage -- it was a trip trying to "squeeze" in beside it and no luck in jumping it. I am located in Pawleys Retreat at the end of Riverbirch.... let me know -- and thanks!

Quick Reply: electrically dead rover-need to get into neutral ??