General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for 99 RR 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 99 RR 4.0

the old boy needs new sneakers. had michelin ltx. good wear, but can't find them anywhere. looking at yoko geolander, bstone dueler and gyear wrangler. do off roading about 2x month. any advice/suggestions? TIA.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM
5th Gear

I have been very happy with the Nitto Terra Grappler AT 255/55R-18 on my 2000 Range Rover 4.6. Good on/offroad performance, not too much road noise, and you can't beat the price (I think I paid $169 each from Discount Tire Direct.) I also offroad once or twice a month; the Nittos are great for what I do. They are a little more agressive than the tires you mention though.

JD

Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I just put on a set of Michelin LTX A/T2 and LOVE them. They are the best tires I have ever used. I do mostly highway (1,000 miles/week) with some serious off roading mixed in. I got the biggest I could fit, 265/60 18s and they look great. Go to my profile and check out my pictures. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9d&id=22409140 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9d&id=22409140 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...59&id=22409140

Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Mudding

I'm very happy with my General Grabber AT II's. I've also had them on my Jeep ZJ in the past. They are a nice AT geared a little more toward off road, but have low road noise, handle and ride nice, and best of all the treadlife is quite good, I have 30k on a set now and have plenty of life left.

They work very well in the snow, and pretty good offroad. The don't self clean as well as an M/T would, so if you do a lot of mud then I'd look at something else. But for general trails, dirt, rocks, and light mud they work great and are tough. Basically a clone of a BFG TA/KO, but I like the bite better. I think you could snag em for around $99 each.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Overlanding

thanks for the replies. i currently have 265/70-16's and the right rear is wearing on the outside (it was on the front when i bought it and partially worn due to bad alignment). had the alignment corrected and moved it to the back but am worried about ability to off road with the wear. all tires have about 5/32 left (with the exception of the outer edge of the rr). the guy at the tire store said if i replaced the back two and not all 4 it could ruin the tranny. true? or just a scare tactic? as for tires, i'm leaning toward the michelin LTX A/T-2 or bstone deuler revo.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Mudding

I am also looking for new tires. I was trying to decide between the General Grabbers and Goodyear Fortera's. But I think ChrisX solved my problem.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Mudding

Happy to oblige mate! You won't be disappointed with the Grabbers.

Now I'm shopping for some new meats for my X type....what do you run?

mdfud, what the mechanic was probably getting at is that AWD systems require tires on each wheel to be very close to the same circumference. So having one axle with tires that are worn significantly more than the other axle could cause problems in the transfer case or driveline.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdfud
the guy at the tire store said if i replaced the back two and not all 4 it could ruin the tranny. true? or just a scare tactic? as for tires, i'm leaning toward the michelin LTX A/T-2 or bstone deuler revo.
Yes and no. It is not the best for it and out trucks are not so locked up that it will cause immediate issue but long term wear would be accurate.

I have an AWD Volvo that if the tire are different diameters it will cause a shutter in the driveshaft when braking on a turn. Most of that is the type of drive shaft it is but some is due to that the viscous locks up well when under 30 mph.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Mudding

Chris X on the X Type I do switch tires for the winter to Bridgestone Blizzak's they are really excellent snow tires, I like to play it safe with the wife since that is her daily driver. The rest of the season we have Continental Tires on it, I think they are called ContiTouring or something? They ride ok, I actually like the way the Bridgestones ride more. I don't think I would buy the Continentals again when it comes time to replace them. What do you use?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Overlanding

i stopped and talked with an independent rover mechanic and he agreed it would be best, despite remaining tread on the other three tires, to replace all four so i'm gonna suck it up and go with the ltx's. thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: Tires for 99 RR 4.0