LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I was driving down the road today and for no reason the check engine light came on. I called Land Rover and they told me it was probably the gas cap causing it. I haven't had the gas cap off in two days. I turned off the car and opened and closed the gas cap again but the light is still on. Has anyone ever had this happen? They told me it was fine to keep driving it even with the warning light on. Also, I can look and see that I have 92 miles worth of fuel left on the dash gauge. I will not even go three city blocks or so and the mileage indicator will drop drastically. Is it usually accurate?

Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: check engine light

I had this same thing happen to me on day 2 of ownership. I took it in and they "reset the computer" after finding a "minor engine fault". As I drove out of the dealership, the light went on again. I ended up leaving the vehicle over night and they detected something wrong with a part related to air flow in the catalytic converter. They ordered a new part and I picked the car up the following day. The light has yet to go on again, but I have only had the car back for 24 hours.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

The light is on because the vehicle detected a problem, maybe the gas cap, maybe not. Make an appointment for them to check it out and repair it.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear

As for the fuel indicator, I originally had a similar concern. After a 15 moths of ownership and asking around, I have found that the reason for the difference in your "range" on your indicator, is the conditions under which you are driving at that moment, i.e., city vs highway. There can be a dramatic differnce in your range bewteen highway vs stop and go driving. Ultimately, I found that the gauge is very accurate. I hope this helps you.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

My engine light also went at approximately 80 total miles.....3rd day of ownership. Went off at about 85 miles, but I have an appointment to get it checked out tomorrow. No point in taking chances.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

My check engine light lit up yesterday (i only got 600 miles-3 weeks old car).
I stopped, check the gas caps, yet light still on.
Got home, check all the oil caps, oil dip, radiator caps and powersteering cap... all fine, light still on.
Seeing everything's fine, I close (or rather slam) the hood normally.
Next morning as i drive on the freeway, i noticed the hood on the driver's side is shaking.. I checked the hood.. It's not properly closed on the driver's side. Oddly, the center and passenger's side closed just fine. Push the hood to a tight close and... Check engine light: OFF!

I checked with my buddy afterwards who also have new LR3, he said it should light up "bonnet open" instead of the check engine light.

Weird.. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 11-10-2014, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by whitelr3se7
My check engine light lit up yesterday (i only got 600 miles-3 weeks old car).
I stopped, check the gas caps, yet light still on.
Got home, check all the oil caps, oil dip, radiator caps and powersteering cap... all fine, light still on.
Seeing everything's fine, I close (or rather slam) the hood normally.
Next morning as i drive on the freeway, i noticed the hood on the driver's side is shaking.. I checked the hood.. It's not properly closed on the driver's side. Oddly, the center and passenger's side closed just fine. Push the hood to a tight close and... Check engine light: OFF!

I checked with my buddy afterwards who also have new LR3, he said it should light up "bonnet open" instead of the check engine light.

Weird.. [sm=dontgetit.gif]
I just did the same exact thing. opened the hood and slammed the hood and it turned off. Only difference is that my truck has over 100K miles

Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

8 years and change.....

Attached Thumbnails  check engine light-31718148_zps3cdcbfcc.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Smile 2007 LR3 HSE - Check Engine Light Finally Off!

After reading all good suggestions and trying them nothing worked. Then I examined my gas cap and the white plastic threads were fine. Then I thought about what could create a tighter seal so used a pair of needle nosed pliers to lift up the black rubber gasket about 1/8" or so from the base of the cap using only the side of the pliers to grasp just the top ridge of the gasket so as not to damage any of the rubber. I started her up and the light was still solidly on, drove about 20 min. and the light is off! It has stayed off for days now during multiple trips. I'm sure this little trick saved me hundreds of dollars not to mention the time involved. I hope this helps someone else. Best of luck.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine light

Hi guys
Thanks very much for sharing infos on the matter.
I own an LR3 with wait for it...400.000 km.
My baby last week just popped the engine light after being 10 hours on my job's parking lot. I had put gas on the previous night and i remembered the friend here who had a bad rubber connection on the gas tank cap. So i just screwed it 3-4 clicks more and the engine light went off.
3 weeks ago i had the 3amigos and i thought that was it.the car saying goodbye. But i am very confident now after reading here that is 99% the brake switch.
I will also try that after christmas to check if everything is fine after.
Here in Germany the dealership visit is not something for your pocket to be comfort with..
Talk to ya soon.
Thanks again all of you
Vasilis