Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new window regulators

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new window regulators

just ordered up both front window regulators for the short bus... are these hard to replace? neither of my front windows have worked since i bought the thing so i would love to get them working...

Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: new window regulators

Shortbus, here is a thought, maybe when your new regulators come in do this to them before you install them.
http://www.jewellamberoil.com/sales/...roducts_id=185

Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace the roll down windows with the sliding windows like a Defender and call it good.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to replace mine, it was not hard. The interior panel removes with a flat screwdriver or a small putty knife after removing the 7 phillips head screws. You don't have to remove the rubber trim seal at the top along the glass as the panel comes off without being pulled upward, just be careful not to bend the lock/unlock button rod. You then need to cut the plastic sheeting about at the half way point with a razor blade and carefully remove it where it is held in place along the edges with black butyl calk. If you get it off in one piece it is entirely reusable and you will just need to apply tape to the where you sliced it in two, the butyl calk is kind of like chewing gum, sticky but reusable.

You say they have never worked. Do you mean they literally don't go up or down or do with difficulty and assistance. The reason is that in order to disconnect the glass from the moving rail of the regulator you need to get the window down about 75%, then remove the 2 small machine bolts. Slide the glass up with your hands and secure it with a few strips of masking tape around the upper window frame. You don't want it to come crashing down while you are working.

Then remove the 5 (I think) small machine bolts that hold the main part of the regulator to the door and the 2 bolts towards the open end of the door. The moving parts of the regulator will now move freely and you can fold like a scissors and compress them into one compact part. You need to disconnect the electric connection to the motor, then the whole unit can be maneuvered out of one of the holes at the lower part of the door. You will need to remove 3 torx screws to get the motor off to transfer to the new regulator. Just do the reverse when re-assembling and add a little greas to all the moving parts. When you re-install the door panel use a small putty knife to lift the edge of the rubber seal at the top so you can slide the door trim panel underneath it. Remember to insert the door lock/unlock button as well before you tapthe panel up tight to the door.

That being said there is the possibility that your motors may be bad, I had one with a missing tooth in the gear box part so I had to order a motor. I got the best price from RovahFarm on Ebay. My regs came from AB parts and the new design does not use a roller but a sliding plastic part that is much heaver duty and should not break. I did not know for sure that the motor was at issue until I got the door back together. You will go through as much trouble to replace the whole regulator as just trying to replace the rollers but if cost is the issue you will have to decide.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a problem with my passenger window in the 2004 Disco. When it rolls up, the top and back of the window come out as the window is trying to rotate forward. I assume this is the Regulator?? is there a way to fix this?? Thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: cobbcj7

I have a problem with my passenger window in the 2004 Disco. When it rolls up, the top and back of the window come out as the window is trying to rotate forward. I assume this is the Regulator?? is there a way to fix this?? Thanks
Yes, the fix is a new window regulator.
www.roverlandparts.com
www.atlanticbritish.com

Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out these guys for new window regulators: www.importpartsspec.com

I just bought my right hand front unit from them for my '03 Disco and they were the least expensive I found on the web. Just put the part number in their search function. They offer free shipping over $75 too.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could also buy from someone who is parting out a car or go to a pick and pull junk yard but you risk getting a regulator with almost worn out guide wheels. The new replacement regs from AB parts have gone to a nice solid plastic square looking glide part instead of the small guide wheels that came with the OEM part. I think if you go with the AB part you will never have to worry about it again.

Then again, avoid the our polluted air and just don't ever roll windows down and save a few bucks, your decision!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
7th Gear
Default window regulators

My front passenger window jammed. It seems the little nylon wheels tend to break and then the whole regulator ( system of levers) needs replacing.
I have actually replaced the wheel with a new one made from "kneed it" an epoxy "stuff-essential for all long trips. (http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Kn...l/default.aspx). One useful trick was to make the centre hole that fits over the rivet, more of a slot at a slant. Then once in the rail add a bit more kneadit to fill the slot.

how to replace regulator (copied from http://en.allexperts.com/q/Land-Rove...-window.htm);-

To remove the door panel, you'll have to :

"1. Remove 2 screws securing hand rail to door.
2. Remove screw securing door handle escutcheon to door.
3. Remove escutcheon.
4. Remove 4 screws securing pocket to door.
5. Carefully release 10 clips securing trim casing to door.
"
These clips break easily, so you may have to replace them. Don't force them either or they'll rip out of the moulded panel they are set in.

"6. If fitted, disconnect multiplug from upper door speaker.
7. Disconnect multiplug from lower door speaker.
8. Remove trim casing from door.
Refit
1. Position trim casing to door and connect door speaker multiplug(s).
2. Secure trim casing to door with clips.
3. Fit escutcheon to door handle and secure with screw.
4. Fit hand rail to door and secure with screws.
5. Fit pocket to door and secure with screws."

Once the panel is off, you'll have to carefully remove the plastic moisture barrier.

Now you'll be able to see (somewhat) the glass and possibly the regulator rail on the bottom. There are small openings that allow you some room to manipulate the components.

Here's the next set of steps:

"1. Remove door trim casing. DONE.
2. Carefully release water shedder from door. DONE.
3. Lower glass and remove 2 bolts securing door glass to regulator. PERHAPS THESE BOLTS ARE LOOSE OR MISSING?
4. Raise glass and secure with a suitable wedge.
5. Disconnect multiplug from glass lift motor.
6. Front door: Remove 6 bolts securing glass regulator assembly to door.
7. Rear door: Remove 4 bolts securing glass regulator assembly to door.
8. Manoeuvre regulator through access hole at bottom of the door.
9. Remove 3 Torx screws securing glass lift motor to regulator and remove motor.

Refit

1. Clean mating faces of regulator and motor.
2. Fit glass lift motor to regulator and tighten 3 Torx screws to 5 Nm (3.7 lbf.ft).
3. Position regulator in door. Fit bolts securing regulator to door and tighten to 6 Nm (4.4lbf.ft).
4. Connect multiplug to glass lift motor.
5. Remove wedge holding glass and position glass to regulator.
6. Secure glass to regulator with bolts and tighten to 6 Nm (4.4 lbf.ft).
7. Fit water shedder to door.
8. Fit door trim casing."

Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
4wd Low

Ok, I think I'm prepared to tackle this myself after all the detailed guidelines posted here.

A few things kind of confused me. Certain online retailers suggested that I buy a window guide when replacing the regulator among a few things. I want to make sure I have all before I take up work.

Here's my goal: Replace the motor and regulator on my 03 D2 HSE.

What else do I need to complete the job?
What size are the torque bolts that hold the window lift motor?
Any links to a site that sells the motor and regulator as a complete kit?
What about the better designed regulator with different type of rollers?

Is there an easier way to remove the wire/plug on the little speaker after removing the door panel? Pesky little booger it was.