LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Differential - Needs Replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Differential - Needs Replacing?

This is a follow up to my earlier post: https://landroverforums.com/m_87722/tm.htm

I followed Jantiz's adive, and checked for play, but didn't notice any. I asked the local LR dealer to take a look,and he tells me that the grinding/rubbing noise from the front is due to the front differential going bad. They said there were metal filings in the oil when they drained the diff, which obviously sounds bad - and, would require replacing the entire front differential (at a cost of $2,800!!).

How does a diff go bad after 58k miles?! To me, it sounds like there must have been a manufacturing error; all the regular maintenance has been done on the truck and it has not been involved in any major accidents. In reading some posts on the www.disco3.co.uk forum, it looks like LR has been replacing front diffs under the UK warranty (which, luckily for UK LR owners, is 3 years/unlimited mileage).

Do I have any recourse, or do I just bite the bullet and pay?! I bought the truck from an independent dealer, "as-is No warranty"; so they may not be eager to assist in this either.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Front Differential - Needs Replacing?

Exsesive metal shavings in the fluid is never good. Sounds like the diagnosis is correct. Unfortunately, if there isn't a service bulletin out there about faulty front diffs (and I don't beleive there is one), they wont cover it after warranty. On a lighter note, follow this link http://www.roverlandparts.com/frontdifferentials_1.aspx You'll find a replacement Differential for only $625.00 Even if you're not handy with tools and have to pay for someone to put it in for you, I'm sure it will save you substantial cash.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not a common issue with the LR3. It is common, however, for the front diff. to start leaking, lack of fluid results in lack of
lubrication, which results in wear and tear.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
7th Gear

Thanks Jantiz and Tacomatech for your help and input!

Here's an update: Dealer told me best case scenariowould beto change the "support", which we did, but the noise is still there. I'm not even sure what the "support" is, but, at least it is changed. (If someone has the time, could you explain to me what it is?)

So, looks like all that is left to do is to change the front diff. I think I will go with the roverland parts option mentioned above, and ask a local mechanic to install; anything in particular I should ask the mechanic/keep in mind?

Thanks again, and season's greetings!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never put a front axle in a LR3 are you sure the 21 year old kid isnt misteaking a WHEEL BEARING noise. done this for 23 years not one. scott

Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
7th Gear

A big THANK YOUfor everyone's help!

I had great success with ordering the front diff from Rover Land parts, and found an independentmechanic about an hour away to install it; grinding noise gone!

Mechanic told me the old diff barely had any oil left in it, so sounds like what tacomatech mentioned above is what happened.

Is there an easy way torefill the diff oil? Or is it best done when I bring the truck in for an oil change? And a related question, how often should the oil be changed on the LR3?