Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Won't Turn in Ignition

Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Won't Turn in Ignition

2001 Disco II - Tried numerous times with the two keys I have for this vehicle, no luck.
Tried turning key in door 3 times slowly, but no luck -key won't turn at all in ignition
Steering wheel is in locked position and turning it isn't working key won't turn at all in ignition
Alarm system seem is activated with flashing light on dash blinking
Pressed Inertia button under hood -no luck
Battery has plenty of charge in in.
Any other Suggestions?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Key Won't Turn in Ignition

It happened to me last year... Here's the thread:

https://landroverforums.com/m_28235/tm.htm

Ultimately, I had to order a new programmed switch from Land Rover. A cheaper option would have been to put in a used switch, but then I would have had to carry two keys (one for the switch, and one for opening the doors). Hopefully you can get it back moving with graphite or a hammer or something. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you tried turning the steering wheel left and right while turning the key in the ignition, sometimes the column lock gets loaded up and won't release.

The following users liked this post:
allyrover (05-28-2022)
Old 02-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 try wiggling the steering wheel while turning the key. Also, if you use lube, only use the graphite lube for locks, WD-40 isn't good for it.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

Follow up: I had to bite the bullet and bring int into Rover dealer.
Special order part takes two weeks to get from UK, but they did
have a "loaner" key barrel which they happily installed
(at an hours labor of $120) - And so it goes....

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default Cheap (free) Key Barrel fix

Same thing happened to me for 2001 Land Rover Disco II -- key wouldn't turn in ignition. Locksmith advised this trick, which worked -- a short burst of WD-40 (not powdered lube because moisture can make it muddy over time) then put key in ignition barrel. Tap the end of the key several times with a small hammer -- apparently this gets the stuck tumbler to fall right into place. It took me three tries -- a 1-minute fix for $0. Worked fine ever since.

The following users liked this post:
al415 (06-20-2020)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Key won't turn

My 1997 Land Rover Discovery had the same problem, key would not turn did the steering colum wiggle and hitting the gear shifter into park, but nothing. Shot a small burst of carb cleaner into it and used testpilots advice tapping the ignition key several times and must of got the stuck tumbler free because it work great now, and most of all didn't cost a cent. Thats testpilot I'm on the road again.

Last edited by 99Harley; 04-02-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Add my vehicle
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My key WILL NOT turn if I am pushing inward while trying to turn it. I have to insert the key and let it rest where it just naturally wants to come to rest and then turn it with ABSOLUTLY ZERO load force on it laterally. And even doing this sometimes I have to wiggle the locked steering wheel whilst cursing loudly to get it to turn. NOBODY can crank my truck except me. It's an aquired skill and art form I tell people that try. I can literally leave my keys in the truck at Wal-Mart and not have to worry about it getting stolen. Lol

When I bought the truck back in 2007, I was gone so long during my test drive the salesman called the police. I had pulled over in a parking lot and killed the truck out to look under the hood and it took about 45 mins for me to master the art of cranking the disco. lol I got back and the guy told me he thought I'd had a wreck or stolen the truck or somthing and called the fuzz lol. He didnt know about the problem as the truck was just arrived to his lot the day before. I bought it anyways. Im a sucker for a black disco... and its a feature I've come to like a lot lol

Last edited by kfx4001442; 04-02-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Drifting

My ignition lock is tricky as well. I hesitate to get it fixed because it's a good anti-theft device.
You have to put the key in, pull it back out by about a third, then jiggle it as you turn it forward. Have to make sure there's no pressure from the steering lock.
Works every time.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

1995 D1
This just happened to me. I'm heading out the door to work and the key won't turn. Panic.

Search the forum and, there it is; a couple of blasts of WD-40, tap with hammer and, bingo! Key turns!

I love you guys!

Last edited by Johnny K; 04-12-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Won't Turn in Ignition